We have developed and implemented a document management system using Windows Forms.
The check out/in feature works as following:
- User A Check out a document
- The application asks the user where to save the document (checkout location)
- A copy will be downloaded on the specified location on the user's pc.
- Now, if the user edits the document, the modifications are saved locally on machine.
- Other users cannot make modifications to the document, they can only view the version on the server (until User A check in the document)
- User A, can open the document, the modifications are saved, he can now check in the document, the document is uploaded as new version to the server.
- Now other users can view the updated version of the document and check it out if needed.
Now, we are in the process of developing the web version.
- Where i should keep the checked out documents?
- If locally on the user stations, how should i save it and upload to the server on check in,
taking into consideration that the application will run on a web
- Or in the web solution we have to keep the checked out documents on the server.
I am asking about the design and strategy about how check in / out document in web document management system.
How does it work in sharepoint or other solutions?